Sunday, August 23, 2020

Forever Young

 



      I am meeting a friend in Vegas. I am ever thankful for the people in my life. I usually keep my friends for a long time. Friendship is something that I treasure. Geography and differences in lifestyle don't matter. If you have made the cut and are in my life, I will work to maintain that friendship. People are not interchangeable. If you are in my life, you are rare and special.

     This will sound suspiciously like an episode of the Goldbergs, but I met Mel back in 1980 something. She had transferred to Arizona from Michigan in her junior year of high school. We were fast friends. We loved both science and theater arts. We loved all the "great" music of that time. We would go dancing, trying to look cool in our black clothes. We have seen each other's unfortunate 80s styles. Fortunately, we did not get stuck there and are both quite modern and tech savvy.

     We talked for hours about our first boyfriends . We shared our dreams for how our lives would turn out. She came to visit me all the way in Boston when I went to college there.

     After college, we lost touch. The creation of Facebook made it easier to reach out to people. I had come across some of her technical publications and I reached out to say hello and to see how her life had turned out. It had been over 20 years since we last spoke. 

     She was doing some work at Biosphere. I went to meet her at a small restaurant in Oracle, Arizona  It was as if we had never been apart. We both discovered that we enjoyed costuming and reenactment. It was so great to reconnect. 

     In Vegas, we are laughing talking about boys and I am a girl again. Our laughs have more wisdom behind them. The smiles producing wrinkles around our mouths and eyes. We have achieved many great things and so many more are to come. 

     Friends like this can transport you to another place and time. No matter where we are in life, our time together can help us feel forever young. 


No comments:

Post a Comment