Stile Antico translates into ancient style. On Friday I saw Stile Antico at St. John's Cathedral in Denver. They are a British early music ensemble. The performance was so beautiful and so powerful. It's the type of music that reaches deep within you. The greeter at the door said "Just one ticket? Are you expecting anyone else?" I smiled and told her that I was alone. This was to be a solitary and peaceful moment.
One of the most amazing things about music is its ability to transport us to other times and places. You hear a song that reminds you of your childhood and you say "turn it up, I like this song." You might shed a tear when a song comes on that reminds you of a rough time in your life. I wanted to be transported to an ancient time and place. I was not disappointed.
I like early music performed in a cathedral because the voices echo and surround you. I enjoy all music, but there is a beautiful simplicity in the human voice. This music would sound the same now as it would have hundreds of years ago. So many things do not last, so there is a kind of magic in these ancient songs that survived.

No comments:
Post a Comment