Saturday, July 5, 2014

Time Flies


     It has been a month since my last entry. While I have made some progress, I find that I must get into the habit of frequent writing. Making changes can be tough. I get plenty of reminders to exercise because every other ad on TV reminds me. Writing a novel does not come with external reminders, unless you are in a contract. It is easy to fall back into familiar comfortable patterns, even if they are not going to get me where I need to go. I think this is the dilemma that the large majority of aspiring writers get caught in and never finish what they have begun to create.

     I now have a book title and an idea of what the book is going to be about. I am giving myself a year to complete this. I feel that having a concrete time frame will assist me in developing the habit I will need in order to complete this project. I wait until everyone is asleep because so far, I tend to like silence when I write. I have seen many authors lately and one thing that I have never asked is if they listen to music when they write. That would be interesting to hear. 

     I have been looking at advice from many types of authors and again, the main idea here is to just keep writing. This is not happy fun time, although I am sure that it will be mostly enjoyable. This is work. This is a second job on top of my already demanding job. This job is very much like my husband's art side job. It is a labor of love with not much financial gain. It exists out of love.

     This will be a shorter entry because I need to work on that novel. Can I just say that as I type those words I kind of chuckle? Yes, it is absolutely true, but it really sounds pretentious to me. Oh yes, myyyy Noooovellll. Rolls eyes. This concept is going to take some getting used to.

                                        Neil Gaiman Gives Great Advice  


No comments:

Post a Comment